The National Health Board has adopted the charter, below, to inform its decision making and actions:
- Everything we do must aim to improve outcomes, including reducing health disparities, for the users of the health and disability system within the resources available.
- New Zealanders should continue to have affordable access to a strong public health and disability system which provides world class quality care.
- The component parts of the health and disability system must operate effectively together as a more unified system while recognising differences amongst different providers.
- Ensure the ongoing clinical and financial sustainability of the public health and disability system by:
- effectively engaging clinicians, and where relevant the wider healthcare workforce, in decision making
- delivering the health and disability system New Zealanders need within a long-term sustainable funding allocation
- effectively engaging New Zealanders and their families and whanau to play a greater role in staying healthy and managing their health care needs.